On 16 April 2012, a request was made by akruppa in the Mersenne forum seeking help in factoring Bernoulli(200) c204. Barry Mazur and William Stein had inquired whether it was possible to obtain the factorization of the numerator of the 200th Bernoulli number so that they may include it in their upcoming book.
On 8 May 2012, NFS@Home took up the challenge and expected the sieving to take about 2-3 months. They recently released a Mac OS X 64 bit version which is what caught my attention. This is a CPU only project. Available apps are:
- Microsoft Windows (98 or later) running on an Intel x86-compatible CPU
- Linux running on an Intel x86-compatible CPU
- Linux running on an AMD x86_64 or Intel EM64T CPU
- Mac OS 10.4 or later running on Intel
- Intel 64-bit Mac OS 10.5 or later
To help with this effort, add the NFS@Home project to BOINC and edit your NFS@Home preferences to select the following apps:
- lasievef - used for huge factorizations, uses up to 1 GB memory: yes
- lasieve5f - used for huge factorizations, uses up to 1 GB memory: yes
The PrimeSearchTeam has a presence, albeit a limited one. If you have the resources, please consider helping out. Let's see if we can help them wrap up the sieve before the Alan Touring Challenge. :)
Please help spread the word!
p.s. Howdy everyone! :)